HomeVideosCalendar of Events*UPDATED* Elmore City ShootoutKeystone CommandStaff MembersMembersPhoto GalleryModern HistoryOriginal HistoryModern ReportsOriginal ReportsFAQJoin the 77thBylawsContact UsLinksDonations & Dues

By Corporal Daniel Hucker

Captain Griffin Sir,

I took it upon myself to write this report for the reason of 1st Sgt Plunk volunteered himself to drive the hospital wagon. Please forgive me for not using the chain of command. I figured you will want to see the report as soon a practical.

20 May – Jefferson City – Day One

Upon entering the town of Jeff City, we had claimed this town and raised our proud colors. After a brief statement from Col. Prator, the brigade was ordered to break ranks and rest after a long hard march. Not long after we were just setteling in, the calavary patrols rounded up a few southern men they found in the woods. They were taken to Col. Prator to be questioned. Soon after, the Calavary released the men and the tempature started to rise quickly as some of the men saw moving shadows in the treeline in front of us.

The opening shot came from the tree line and the calavary was sent out to handle the matter. They were met by Reb riders and a small group of militia. As they battled it out on their end of the battlefield, another group of militia emerged from the tree line. Col. Prator ordered Skirmishers out in front to oppose their attack. They were no match for the two Battalions and five artillery pieces that emerged from behind them opening fire almost imedately. Our lines inside the earthworks were called upon to form and assist the skirmishers, who were taking hits quickly.

The Brigade marched out to the enemy lines to return the lead that they were throwing at us. Even though they had a two to one superiority over us, we were ready to drive them off our field. After a hot masking fire with the two fresh rebel battalions, the odds worsten to four to one as another fresh Rebel Batalion emerged from the tree line placing pressure on our right flank. Seeing the potential of being over run, we were ordered to fall back to the earthworks, but the overwhelming power of Reb artillery soon pushed us out and back into the open.

At the foothills, we were met by volley after volley. The men were falling at a high rate, and again, we fell back to the small lower end of the battlefield. We gave those Rebs everything we had and they still advanced on us. Col. Prator decided that the battle was lost as the Rebs took out some of our artillery, and his Brigade had suffered to many losses already. We withdrew from the battlefield back to camp where Col. Prator addressed the Brigade.


Overnight, artillery from both sides exchanged fire for about forty-five minutes. No loses reported.







21 May – Jefferson City – Day 2

Col. Prator ordered that the artillery be moved inside the earthworks along with the infantry. After a brief address from Capt. Burns, the Brigade inspected wepons and stacked arms. Soon there after, the Reb artillery opened fire from the treeline, but this time, we returned the lead quickly.

The Reb Battalions we had battled the prior day had again formed on the tree line, this time all at once. As the Rebs advanced, our artillery soon found their mark wiping holes in their lines. The Rebs still advanced to the range of aimed muskets behind the earthwork’s walls. As the two sides battled things out, our first casulity, Pvt. Jerimiah Hawkins, was fatiality wounded as he fired his last round of the war. Later in the fight another casulity, Pvt. Jon Bircket, was killed firing his last round also.

After a fierce fight, the Rebs withdrew their attack as a Reb horseman rode out under a flag of truse to recover their casulities leaving the Frontier Brigade in command of the battlefield.

Other Notes from Jefferson City

On the second night at about 2:00 am, Pvts. Tim Mountford and Willy Hood were rudely awaken by a rat in their tent. Pvt. Mountford despartly tried to get it away and attack it, not knowing its size. It was big, like the size of 1st Sgt. Cleon Plunk’s hand………..um…..……wait a minute……….it was 1st Sgt’s hand! False alarm men, back to bed.

Pvt. Bobby Miller Jr. fought his first battle here. He survived both battles while showing a great deal of bravery in the line of fire. A soldier from another company had been wounded in the fight on the first day, and was despartly trying to crawl his way back to our lines. Pvts. Scott Grey & Bobby Miller Jr., Jumped over the earthworks to recover the wounded soldier which was able to survive his wounds. I recomend that these two Privates receive the Red Badge of Courage.

On the second day of battle, the Rebels formed all around the Union Camp. The 77th geared up to oppose this attempted attack. Brenda "The Head Rooster" Hucker, waved a frying pan and threatened the opposing Rebs if they attacked our camp. Point made, the Rebs saluted and withdrew from the area. Huzzah for Mrs. Hucker!

We all wish to greatly thank our women who battle the heat, cooking over the fire to supply the meals to our troops. To Kim Grey & Brenda Hucker, We greatly thank you for your hard work.

To the Grey Family; Pvt. Scott Grey, Pvt. Russell Grey, & Kim Grey; who reposented the 77th on School Day Friday. They had arrived Thursday to set up camp and by Friday, they were educating students about life in the Civil War

Lt. Wayne Frisby showed great remoras on the battlefield while commanding the 77th under intense fire. Three cheers for Lt. Frisby!


Report Completed by:

Corporal Daniel W. Hucker

Company E.

77th Pensylvania Volunteer Infantry

Frontier Brigade

Enter content here

Enter content here

Enter content here

Those who served with the 77th Pennsylvania at Jefferson City were:
The Soldiers
Lt. Wayne Frisby
1st Sgt. Cleon Plunk
Cpl. Daniel Hucker
Pvt. Bobby Miller Jr.
Pvt. Scott Gray
Pvt. Russel Gray
Pvt. Richard Ballou
Pvt. Tim Mountford
Pvt. Jeremiah Hawkins
Pvt. Willy Wayne Hood (Supported)
Pvt. Jon Birket--1st Kansas
Pvt. Landen Wilson--1st Kansas
Pvt.Todd Meek--8th Kansas
The Ladies:
Mrs. Kim Grey
Mrs. Brenda Hucker
Mrs. Sarah Plunk